Our principal electrician Brian Parslow (MRE Electrical Group Director) has a few tips to help make your renovation plans a bit easier and save you some money.
- Most renovations require the services of an electrician. Whether it’s installing new air conditioning or adding lights and power points, Brian recommends talking to a licenced electrician early in the process.
- Each project will differ (sometimes greatly) in terms of electrical work undertaken, so the electrician should be experienced in the type of project you are undertaking. Not every electrician works with air con systems, or undertakes commercial renovations, or works on major renovation projects.
- Whilst you’re busily shopping around for a great price on a new stove, fridge or paint, if you want to prevent electrical cost blow outs from impacting on your budget, then meet with the electrician on site to inspect the building and the new plans. They will advise if existing wiring and electrical infrastructure can cope with the renovations. For example - There is no use installing an additional 10 power points, 26 down lights, and an extra air conditioning unit or two if the existing 35-year-old wiring won’t cope with the extra load. In such cases, an upgrade to the existing wiring and systems may be required before the new work can be connected. Completing upgrades before the renovations commence will save time and money! Now that’s worth planning for!
- Consider the location of your new services in the planning process. For example – if you want to put a new power point on a wall and there is another electrical service on the other side, then putting them back to back will save time, material and reduce costs.
- If the renovations include air conditioning, then consider options between standalone reverse cycle air-conditioning units to cool a single space/room, or a ducted system for ‘whole of house’ cooling. If all the rooms are occupied and are being used constantly, then a ducted system may be more cost effective than installing multiple standalone reverse cycle systems. Check out our February 2018 Blog for more information on whole of house air con options.
MRE Electrical Group serves Toowoomba, the Darling Downs and the Greater Brisbane regions. Book your service now at www.mregroup.com.au and LIKE us on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/MREElectricalGroup/
Power Up with MRE Electrical Group – Since 1996
Written and Published by www.presentprofessionally.com.au